Made in China

Don't you find the first posts on blogs to be really awkward?
It's like you need to introduce yourself, but you just want to get into the flow of things. So I'll try to keep it brief.

I'm a 28 year old Veterinary nurse in Derbyshire. I have 2 springer spaniels and a chihuahua. I've been nursing for 8 years now, and in that period I have hand reared puppies, kittens and even the odd bird. But now I face a new challenge. I'm pregnant for the first time and will have to learn 'How to Raise a Human'

Ask any Veterinary nurse and they'll tell you a whole list of disgusting things they have dealt with/been covered with. So most people assume we'll be fine with motherhood. Poop up the back, vomit, pee everywhere? Sure, no problem.......as long as it's from an animal! (Actually as I typed this my eldest springer vomited up river water all over the kitchen)
But the thought of dealing with human mess is a whole other level of disgusting. I say this having been literally sprayed in haemorrhagic diarrhoea. That was fine. But give me a dirty nappy to change on one of my nephews and I run the opposite directions. Hats off to all mums and human nurses, because I have no idea how you do it. But I guess I'm about to learn!

Made in China 

After getting married on New Year's Eve, my husband and I decided to try, without trying, for a baby. Which of course meant I downloaded a cycle tracking app and got a bit too into it 🙈 Pretty certain most women do this so it makes me feel better. I'd actually been off the pill for a few years and we weren't the most careful over that time.  In the back of my head I thought this meant there was an issue. Something everyone woman dreads. 
After several months of disappointment (never hated my periods more than in these few months) we decided to take a mini break from thinking about it. It felt like everyone around me was getting pregnant faster than me and I was just over emotional about the whole thing. 
We decided to do a second honeymoon to China to hike to Great Wall. I needed some vaccinations which meant I couldn't be pregnant. I took this as my chance to have a few months off and not have to think about if my period was late because I might be pregnant or not. 

I had previously joked how funny it would be if I fell pregnant (still love that phrase after Sarah McMillan asked how to you fall pregnant?!) We had found a baby onesie that said 'made in va-china' and it just tickled us. 
Apparently whilst visiting ancient cities, I must have wandered into a Hall of Fertility because we came back with a little something extra from China.....



The Magic Line

We began to suspect there was a mini us growing, when my boobs seemed to suddenly have a mind of their own. They felt super heavy and sore doesn't even cover it! I definitely didn't appreciate the many dogs who decided that week was a great time to constantly bash into my melons 🍈🍈
However, I had been up to a week late before and, in typical fashion, it would normally appear just after I did a test. Mother Nature likes to play cruel jokes. 
I was due to run tough mudder that weekend and was determined to not miss out. The furthest I could be was 5 weeks pregnant. Baby would be well insulated in me as, at that point, it was tiny. I did my best ostrich impression and held off doing a test until after the event. 
Telling my best friend in the car meant I would have someone to whisper to the medics if I had an accident (thankfully I didn't). It was hilarious though telling her in a forced calm voice "I may or may not be pregnant. We can't be excited because we may scare it away" 😂
All I avoided was the electric shock at the end. I managed everything else. Let me tell you, being pregnant is great incentive to get out of artic enema ASAP! 




Two days later, I couldn't hold off and did a test on my own. I sat in utter disbelief as I saw that mini plus sign for the first time. I had to take a photo so I could prove it was real to myself later on. Even my husband checked I hadn't misread it when I told him over dinner. 


So that's our pregnancy story. Or at least how it started. Not brief at all but I hope you enjoyed it. 
I aim remain honest about the highs and lows of this 'journey' including all the disgusting bits that no one really ever talks about because, let face it, the British are rubbish at sharing. 

Katie xxx

Comments

Sassie said…
Brilliant!! Loved reading this about the early days of my fourth grandchild! Please keep it up to date. Your honesty is, as always, refreshing xx

Popular Posts